Heeley Parish Church, or Christ Church Heeley as it is otherwise known, is a Grade II listed building, founded in 1846 from part of St Mary’s Parish on Bramall Lane. The first vicar was Rev. Henry Denson Jones, and the church was opened in August 1848. The church was extended in 1890 and 1897 with the addition of the side aisles and vestry, and the clock in the tower of Heeley church was added in 1901 to commemorate the long reign of Queen Victoria.
The church was reordered in the 1970’s to provide non-worship activity space with provision of a kitchen, toilets, lower hall at the west end of the church, an upper floor above and an organ loft and gallery, and we are very excited to be announce a further reordering that will take place later this year!
A little known fact is that one of the founders of modern football, Nathaniel Creswick, is buried in the churchyard of Heeley Parish Church.
For more detailed information about the history of both Heeley and the Parish Church please go here.
Many thanks to this website for use of the pictures.